A Sunburn is caused by prolonged and overexposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun or artificial light (sunlamps) leading to inflammation, redness and in some cases blistering. Sunburns fade within several days but repeated sun exposure can increase the risk of permanent skin damage.
Keep in mind, a baby has thinner and therefore more delicate skin - babies under 6 months should be kept out of the sun in the shade.
Sunburns can be avoided by protecting the skin & being aware:
- Wear protective clothing with SPF (sun protection factor) many companies offer UVA/UVB clothing (baby-adults) these are just a few coolibar , uvskinz , babybanz, solartex, solumbra, Nozone, K&Jsunprotectiveclothing
- Wear a natural, safe (without oxybenzone) sunscreen, between SPF 15-30, apply 20 minutes before sun exposure, then reapply every 2 hours to ensure maximum coverage.
- It is not recommended to apply sunscreen on babies under 12 months, therefore UV clothing, hats and shade are essential.
- Sun is at its harshest UV threat between 10:00am - 4:00pm when its most intense.
- Be prepared - have sunny day supplies; blanket, umbrella, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, invest in a baby tent for ensured shade.
Its important to treat a sunburn in an extremely delicate manner; sunburns can make an individual feel very uncomfortable from overheating, to chills, some feel flu like symptoms and even nausea.
First, offer immediate relief by cooling down the inflamed skin areas by applying cold water compresses, remembering to do this several times through the day. Do not use bubble baths or soap, this can make the burn worse, use a gentle soak for in the bath that will soothe the skin. Moisture is key to healing and repairing the skin, ensure that the moisturizer offers ingredients that are safe and focused on repairing and healing the damaged skin.
A few key Tawna Hill Baby products provide simple, safe, natural ingredients to help relieve & heal this temporary skin condition:
Milk & Oatmeal Bath Powder immediately soothes inflamed, red & irritated skin conditions, with naturally skin calming collodial oatmeal & the essentail oil blend of roman chamomile, neroli, lavender and vanilla. Add 2-3 tablespoons to a lukewarm bath to relieve the sunburn.
Milk & Oatmeal Bath Powder
- Whole Milk Powder - calming and soothing, moisturizing
- Cornstarch - offers a silky, clean feel
- Epsom Salt - draws toxins from body, relaxes muscles, natural emollient and exfoliator
- Cocoa Butter - anti-oxidant, helps to naturally preserve product, emollient, smoothes
- Ground Colloidal Oatmeal - soothes itchy, scratchy and dry skin,eczema, acne, bug bites, chicken pox, diaper rash, etc...
- Roman Chamomile Oil - calms inflamed skin like eczema,acne, boils, wounds
- Lavender Oil- calming and soothing to skin irritations, naturally healing, antiseptic, eczema, acne
- Neroli Oil- regenerates skin, calms and soothes, antiseptic, prevents scaring
- Vanilla Oil- natures fragrance that adds a warm comforting and relaxing scent
Hydra-Mist Spray multi-tasks to relieve irritation by delivering healing, antioxidant, antisceptic, anti-inflammitory, calming ingredients directly onto the skin in a very gentle healing mist. Shake mist, apply liberally to the effected areas, repeat as needed. (*put in the frigde for extra cooling relief)
Hydra-Mist Changing Spray
- Distilled H20 - purified water for hydration
- Witch Hazel - disinfects and helps with inflammation, redness and itchiness
- Lavender Hydrosol - soothing and healing and calming, balances PH level
- Tea Tree Hydrosol - antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic floral water
- Rose Hydrosol - antibacterial, calming, rejuvenating, cooling
- Aloe Vera Gel - soothing and calming, reduces inflammation
- Rosemary Extract - natural preservative, antioxidant
- Green Tea Extract - anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory
- Vegetable Glycerin - softens and soothes
- Roman Chamomile - calm and soothes
- Lavender Oil - relaxing calming, helps with irritation
- Neroli Oil - regenerates skin, calms and soothes
- Vanilla Oil - natures fragrance that adds a warm comforting and relaxing scent
Super Smoothie Cream delievers much needed moisture to damaged skin, helps rejuvenate, soothe and repair irritable dry skin, organic hemp seed oil provides anti-inflammatory, antioxidant protection to help repair sunburned skin. Warm up in fingers, apply in a patting motion to the effected areas, reapeat several times throughout the day.
Super Smoothie Cream
- Sweet Almond Oil - lightweight & emollient, helps aid in skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, soothes inflammations
- Sunflower Oil - helps retain moisture and acts as a protective barrier for sensitive skins
- Shea Nut Butter - hydrates and softens, helps with rashes, acne, anti-inflammatory
- Avocado Oil - moisturizes and nourishes & helps to rejuvenate skin
- Organic Hemp Seed Oil - anti-inflammatory, balances dry skin, helps heal skin lesions, has anti-oxidants and moisture balancing properties
- Distilled H2O -purified water, hydration
- Aloe Vera Gel - rejuvenates, heals & reduces inflammation
- Vegetable Glycerin - helps skin retain moisture
- Calendula Oil - helps with inflamed skin, softens and soothes, anti-bacterial & anti-inflammatory benefits
- Grapefruit Seed Extract - anti oxidant, purifying, anti-bacterial fighter, preservative
- Vegetable Wax - used as a thickener & adds moisture
- Roman Chamomile Oil - allergies, colic, dermatitis, inflamed skin, eczema, acne
- Lavender Oil - skin irritations, colic, eczema, calming, naturally healing, antiseptic
- Potassiam Sorbate - food grade preservative, inhibits mold
- Vanilla Oil - natures fragrance which adds a warm comforting and relaxing scent
- Neroli Oil - depression, insomnia, stress, regenerates skin, stimulates new cell growth, soothes, antiseptic, prevents scaring
Seek medical attention if the sunburn blisters, is causing nausea, high fever, headache and if further flu like symptoms appear.
Yes, the sun can burn and make a person extemely uncomfortable but...The sun is not an enemy; it offers one of the best natural sources of Vitamin D, which is essential in maintaining a healthy body.
Keep it simple & safe, enjoy the sun!