Its a known fact that all babies will cry, its even said that the average baby will cry at least 2 hours throughout an entire day. Parents that have a colicky baby are dealing with an extreme, not just crying but piercing high pitched cries with no reprive, its non-stop for 3+ hours at least 3-4 times a week, and commonly in the evening hours.
Its unknown exactly what causes colic; but what is clear is the importance of these parents supporting and consoling one another during this phase of their babies life. It seems unbearable and at times unimaginable that the fussiness will ever go away. The most important thing to remember is: Your sweet baby will get better!
Some things to consider when trying to help soothe your baby:
- Ensure diapers are changed, clean and not too tight and that baby is adequately feed
- Swaddle your baby in a soft blanket
- Use a dim light in the babies room, play some soft soothing music in the background, keep room at an even temperature
- Try having a humidifier in the babies room
- Walk with baby in a sling or put baby in a rocker with a vibrating or swaying motion
- Warm bath, followed by a massage paying special attention attention to the leg and belly area
- Try a soother or pacifier ( you may have to try several different ones, baby might be particular on a certain style)
Try using naturally soothing products for a bath & massage:
Start off by pouring a warm bath, add 2 tablespoons of Milk & Oatmeal Bath Powder to the water. The bath powder will offer calming and soothing benefits.
Milk & Oatmeal Bath Powder:
- Whole Milk Powder - calming and soothing, moisturizing
- Cornstarch - offers a silky, clean feel
- Epsom Salt - draws toxins from body, relaxes muscles, natural emollient and exfoliator
- Cocoa Butter - anti-oxidant, helps to naturally preserve product, emollient, smoothes
- Ground Colloidal Oatmeal - soothes itchy, scratchy and dry skin,eczema, acne, bug bites, chicken pox, diaper rash, etc...
- Roman Chamomile Oil - calms inflamed skin like eczema,acne, boils, wounds
- Lavender Oil- calming and soothing to skin irritations, naturally healing, antiseptic, eczema, acne
- Neroli Oil- regenerates skin, calms and soothes, antiseptic, prevents scaring
- Vanilla Oil- natures fragrance that adds a warm comforting and relaxing scent
Follow-up with a gentle massage using Sleepy Massage & Calming Oil paying special attention to legs and the belly; gas maybe the cause of this discomfort.
Sleepy Massage & Calming Oil:
- Sweet Almond Oil - softening and moisturizing, helps aid in skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, soothes inflammations
- Sunflower Oil - acts as a protective barrier for sensitive skins, helps moisturize
- Organic Hemp seed Oil - emollient and hydrating, anti-inflammatory, balances dry skin
- Calendula Oil- helps with inflamed skin, softens and soothes
- Roman Chamomile Oil - calms inflamed skin, eczema, acne, wounds
- Lavender Oil- relaxing and calming, eczema, skin irritations, naturally healing, antiseptic
- Neroli Oil - calms, soothes, regenerates skin, antiseptic, prevents scaring
- Vanilla Oil - natures fragrance that adds a warm comforting and relaxing scent
Some of the speculations as to what might cause colic range from the baby having problems with self soothing to possible allergies or even lactose intolerance.
The great news is
This is a phase and it may take a few weeks or a few months but eventually everything will correct its self. Parents remember to ask for help from family and friends, make sure to go out together to keep connected.
Note: Sleepy Massage & Calming Oil is wonderful for adults to enjoy a nice calming massage with!
Check out this helpful video on baby colic massage:
*The North East Sling Library